Monday, June 4, 2007

Jeff Mills wants to borrow your 909












The following is my contribution to Club Systems Magazine's "100 More Moments That Changed the Club World" issue:

In the early 80's, the Roland Corporation of Japan manufactured two drum machines that would change the history of electronic music. The now legendary TR-808 (1980) and TR-909 (1984) have provided the signature drum sounds for more house, techno, and hip-hop records than any other drum box, but it wasn't until a few years after their creation that their impact was truly felt and their potential recognized. Originally created to sound like real a real drum set, these analog beasts were at first looked down upon and weren't favored by producers at the time when compared to the realistic sounding digital samples of the Linn LM-1. Because of this, the early house and techno producers were able to pick up a 909 for cheap. The depth and punch of the bass drums were perfect for rocking dance floors. This drum kit eventually became the sound of techno.

I personally bought my 909 for $850 a few years back and recently had the honor of lending it to Detroit techno legend Jeff Mills in my hometown of NYC. I received a call from a friend that worked at a venue where he was playing for his Blue Potential tour. With 5 days before his performance, the club was unable to find a 909 to fulfill his rider. I was paid $50 to lend my baby to the Wizard. During his set I heard those toms come in and I knew it was on. I rushed behind the booth to get a glimpse of what he was doing and let me tell you the man was killing it on that machine and it sounded GOOD. Better than any record I have ever heard in a club. He was sequencing it on the fly and working the knobs. The crowd was going crazy. There is something about those synthesized, analog sounds coming straight from the source that no sample library can ever faithfully re-create. I left that night with a new perspective on sound, production, and sequencing – and Jeff Mills's signature on my TR-909. For those of you that still don't get it, I can only equate this to being a guitarist and lending Hendrix your axe. Respect.

Phil Moffa
VINYL LIFE


No comments:

 
Bookmark and Share